- It is used to cause sleep during care.
- It is used to put you to sleep for surgery.
- WHAT IS PERCOCET Percocet is the brand name for a painkiller containing both oxycodone and acetaminophen.
- It’s a controlled substance, available by prescription only, and can be formulated in a variety of strengths. Most forms of Percocet contain between 2.5 and 10 milligrams (mg) of oxycodone hydrochloride, and 325 to 650 mg of acetaminophen.
Percocet reduces pain through each of its primary substances:
- Oxycodone is a morphine-like substance that acts on the nervous system to change the brain’s perception of pain.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is thought to inhibit certain pain-related chemicals in the body, thought its exact mechanisms of pain control are not fully understood.
e given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
- Methadone is a synthetic opiate primarily used in the detoxification and maintenance of patients who are dependent on opiates—particularly heroin—and the treatment of patients with chronic, severe pain.